Friday, January 23, 2009

How to Use Inspiration Pictures

Once my kitchen is completed I would like to start redecorating our master bedroom. We have redecorated both of our daughter's bedrooms and now it's our turn. Our children always come first...isn't it always that way when your a parent!

When trying to decide the look that I wanted for our bedroom I searched through magazines, catalogs, stores, and of course online. I kept the pictures of rooms or elements of the room that I liked. Now going back through all of the inspiration pictures I have found out alot of information...like what colors I'm drawn to, what style of furniture, what color of furniture, how I want the room to feel, the look of the bedding, etc...

Can you see what the common elements are?




















Here is what I found out from the inspiration pics;

I really like the color combination of aqua, tan, and white/cream
I really like the mix of painted distressed wood furniture with stained furniture
I really like different textures..rattan, wicker
I really like clean, simple lines of a platform style bed
I really like a mix of pillows

So now that I know what I'm drawn to I will find a bed in a medium wood stain (needs to match the wood in our sitting room/office which is attached to our master bedroom. I will look for 2 distressed cream color nightstands (preferrably Gentleman's chest...as they are bigger) Need all the storage we can get!
I would love to get a chair like the one in the photo but not sure I have room for a chair in the bedroom. I will buy a off white/cream duvet cover for our down comforter.
I think I will paint the walls a tan like in the first photo. I will get aqua pillows & look for a striped pillow that has the aqua, tan, & off white in it. I will accessorize with rattan/wicker. I LOVE vases so I'll have to get a few aqua ocean glass jugs/vases. Something like these but in aqua. (I've seen them at TJ Maxx)

Will buy rattan blinds for the window and either do aqua or cream drapery panels. Of course will throw in some black & white beach photos in black frames with white matting. Gotta have a few strategically placed seashells around and may even make a custom rug for the new room.

What do ya think??


20 comments:

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Darlene...

I have really been enjoying your blog...you have so many interesting and informative tips! I love all of the photos that you've been saving for your master bedroom inspiration...love the aqua, tan, and creamy whites!!! Sounds like you know exactly what you want! Have fun decorating!!!

Warmest wishes...
Chari

Inspired Kara said...

You room will be such a retreat!!!!! It will be like your own luxury beach getaway without being beach themed! My favorite rooms are ones that have a hint of vacation in them :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I love that color combo, too. That's a great idea to collect inspiration pics. Lord knows I need a ton of inspiration to begin the massive updating we need to do to our house. Thanks for sharing.

Tina said...

I love it. Looks sooo restful. This is a technique I've used with clients who are trying to find their style and get us started in a design direction. Works like a charm and it's fun! Can't wait to see befores and afters
blessings
T

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

So soothing...I need to focus on our room, but somehow, it's the last on my list of priorities.

Melissa Miller said...

Gorgeous inspiration photos! :)
I know it will be beautifully done.
After seeing your daughter's room I'm sure of it. You have the touch.

Melissa Miller said...

I would have been heartbroken believe me... You had every right to have been upset. :)

Congrats on the sale of the lot.

I really do think it will all work out in the long run for the whole country.

Barb said...

you have wonderful taste ,can't wait to see it.I also checked out your candle holders they are alot like mine.Have a blessed day....Barb

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I loved the rooms you posted. I plan to move more into the aqua/blues. I can't wait to see what you do. I hope you post your room in progress.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Darlene, I absolutely love this look! I think it's restful, but it also has some punch with the aqua color! Love it! I don't know if you have Dockside Imports where you live, but if you do, check there, too. They often have that color in vases and have some other items that look like Horchow and other higher end catalogues and stores for a lot less.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Darlene~ Am so glad I "found" you! What FUN you're in for, & you're doing it "just right" (IMHO of course!)by TRULY learning what "speaks" to you the ,& makes you happy n' comfy. Your love of the clean, crisp, uncluttered & uncomplicated, along w/ your beautiful color choices, will provide you both w/ much joy & satisfaction. come together, that I put you on my FAVS, so I can check back (I don't have a blog). I'm constantly "falling in love" w/ new & different "everythings" for our home in the desert, & even my DH is shocked that everytime I even MENTION changing our MBR colors, I "JUST CAN'T"~~~ NOTHING creates the calm, peaceful, restful & cohesive atmosphere we have w/ the seafoam blues, creams & rusty browns, along w/ our pool & desert views~~~ it's heavenly, and that's the way a Mastr Bedroom should be! Warmest wishes! Linda

Lisa (aka) French said...

Of course all lovely pics but my ultimate favorite is that chair because it's so BC style of course;) French

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

These pictures are heavenly. Can't wait to see your heavenly bedroom. laurie

Wendy said...

Your room is going to be fabulous!
I loved every picture you posted. Very relaxing.

The colors, the furniture, rattan, vases, black and white photos, it is going to be gorgeous

Light and Voices said...

My favorite thing is the desk with all the faces. It is so unusual. My first time visiting your blog.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Sound like a wonderful coastal retreat..., I'm all for it. I like the idea with the black and white beach photographs in black frames, those will really stand.

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Darlene, You are off to a great start! Knowing what you want is the most important part of any redesign! Can't wait to see what you come up with, you have really picked some great photos to go by. Blessing,Nancy

Anonymous said...

Yes..Yes.. Yes.. I love them all. I am so drawn to that wonderful color blue too...oh and the browns... pretty pretty!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful plan, Darlene!
I love these colors and we're planning to use similar colors, as work toward updating at home. In fact, we'll start by using some of the paint leftover from the condo, in our red powder room.

I'm looking forward to seeing all you do in remaking your room! I know it will be beautiful!!

Kathysue said...

Hi Love the inspiration rooms.I have used the blue,cream,beige theme in my master.I have some furniture from Ethan Allen that sounds like what you might be looking for.I haven't used any darker pieces but I can see where that will look great.I am at Micasastyle.com if you want to see the room.go to the list of designers or their design spot to find me.Kathysue

The Family

The Family